COVID-19 INFORMATION AND PROTOCOLS
The start of the 2020/2021 Season is a unique one, but we know that our CW family will work together to make it a success. Water Polo Canada, Ontario Water Polo, Ottawa Public Health and the City of Ottawa Pools have put in place safety measures that allow us to resume activities in the safest manner possible. Please check this page often as it will be updated as required. Changes will be highlighted in red.
**Please note that due to the serious nature of Covid-19, Coaches reserve the right to remove any athlete who refuses to adhere to these policies and procedures.**
All schedule changes or cancellations will be found on the club calendar. Restrictions and updates happen daily, so please make sure to check it regularly. If there are any immediate cancellations, those families will be informed ASAP via email, but know that our calendar is the most up to date tool we use. Click here to view it.
Prior to each practice, parents and athletes MUST complete the following health assessment TOGETHER and no earlier than 24 HOURS prior to their practice. Please save a copy of the assessment as a screenshot or pdf for your records. Each copy must be saved for 3 weeks for tracking purposes by OPH and Capital Wave should it be needed.
Should the self-assessment results indicate that the participant should self-isolate and/or be tested for COVID-19, the following must occur:
ATHLETE MUST STAY HOME.
Notification of the self-assessment results sent to email@example.com
Follow the directions of Ottawa Public Health.
In the event that an athlete or staff member test positive for Covid-19, the following must occur:
ATHLETE MUST STAY HOME.
The individual must notify the club at firstname.lastname@example.org
The club will notify the Pool Supervisor of the facility the individual trained at.
The team will be notified and will follow directions of health officials as to next steps.
The individual will require proof of medical clearance prior to returning to the team or any club events.
All athletes must have the proper waivers filled out upon registration and before their first practice. Please click here to find the necessary Waivers documents.
ATHLETE’S MANDATORY EQUIPMENT
Athletes are expected to bring their own equipment this year with the exceptions of water polo nets. Each athlete will use their own set of goggles, balls, and fins (only applies to certain groups). Athletes cannot share equipment (except balls for passing while in the water). It is expected that all athlete equipment will be brought home and thoroughly cleaned after each practice (balls, goggles, fins, and water bottles). For each practice, each athlete must bring the following 5 things or coaches will have the option of sitting the athletes out:
Face MASK (on at all times unless instructed by the coaches to remove)
Their own water polo BALL
Changed in their BATHING SUITS
Filled water BOTTLE
To purchase club masks, suits, and water polo balls, please click here.
GENERAL POOL PROCEDURES
TOP 15 RULES TO FOLLOW
1. Arrive 15 minutes prior to start of practice and line up at designated doors (3 meters apart).
2. Parents cannot enter the facility and should not crowd the pool entrance (this includes close parking spaces for coaches).
3. Athletes must maintain physical distancing rules at all times.
4. Coaches will explain to the athletes the proper procedures to enter and exit the facility on the first day.
5. Athletes should shower at home prior to practice and upon returning home.
6. Athletes should arrive with their training suits on as change-rooms are not available upon arrival (only after their practice is over).
7. Lockers, hairdryers (wall mounted or personal), and showers are NOT to be used.
8. Masks are to be worn at all times except when lining up to enter the water and in the water.
9. Upon practice arrival, coaches will ask for verbal confirmation of the completion of the health self-assessment and ask if they are healthy. Athletes should only be showing up to practice if they are cleared by the self-assessment online form.
10. Athletes must sanitize their hands at the hand-sanitizer stations upon entering facility.
11. Belongings must be placed on deck at their designated zone (instructed by the coaches), identified by the pool supervisor. NOTE – in case of inclement weather at outdoor pools, athletes should be prepared to place belongings in a large plastic bag to keep contents dry. During winter, athletes will be required to put outdoor shoes on either bins provided by the facility (such as Sawmill Creek and BMRC) or shelves (such as Brewer Pool)
12. Parents must follow physical distancing guidelines outside of the facility while waiting for their athletes
13. There is absolutely no horsing around at any time, in or out of the water. Athletes will be asked to leave the pool if they do not follow the rules and can be subject to expulsion.
14. If parents leave during practice, they are asked to be on time for pick up as we are not allowed to “hang around” after our allotted time. This is so that other groups can get into the pool for their time. After the athletes exit the facility doors at the end of practice time, the athletes are no longer the responsibility of the coaches
15. After practice, athletes will be able to change quickly in the changing room and showers should be taken at home to reduce time in the changing room. Please respect the 10 minutes that the coaches are allowing athletes to change.