Win with dignity, lose with honour.
- Remember that young people participate in sport for their enjoyment and benefit, not yours
- Applaud good performance and efforts from all individuals and teams. Congratulate all participants on their performance regardless of the game’s outcome
- Respect the decisions of officials and teach young people to do the same
- Never ridicule or scold a young player for making a mistake. Positive comments are motivational
- Condemn the use of violence in any form, whether it is by spectators, coaches, officials or players
- Show respect for your team’s opponents. Without them there would be no game
- Encourage players to follow the rules and the official’s decisions
- Do not use foul language or harass players, coaches or officials
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of every person regardless of their gender, ability, cultural background or religion
It is possible to get banned from watching a water polo game at tournaments. Remember that we all represent WAVE and we must conduct ourselves appropriately. The athletes in the water are young and impressionable and do not want to see parents in the stands being rude and obnoxious.
WAVE coaches will dismiss parents from the stands and athletes on the bench who persistently shout out “Shoot!” – or any other coaching command – during a game.