12U – Junior Waves Swimming and Water Polo
(2012 – 2014)
The 2021-2022 season was the first season for WAVE’s dual sport program – Junior Waves. WAVE athletes competed in swim meets in Ottawa, Belleville, and Toronto and water polo tournaments in Montreal and Toronto.
We’ve always believed that swimming is to water polo as skating is to hockey — they are intertwined in so many ways. Capital WAVE has worked hard with Swim Ontario and Ontario Water Polo to train our coaching staff in both sports to build our success as a dual-sport club.
WAVE is the only club in Ottawa that is an official swim club and water polo club. Look no further, this is where it all starts.
Junior WAVEs athletes must attend 90% of their practices. Practices are three times per week. Athletes must do swimming and water polo. The focus of practices will change from swimming to water polo and vice versa at the discretion of the coaching staff.
There are 2 levels at Junior WAVEs – A and B. All “A” athletes are expected to attend all swim meets and water polo tournaments – should they be invited.
The skills and ability of Junior WAVES A athletes does at times overlap with that of the competitive 13U program. Athletes may be promoted to the 13U competitive level at the discretion of coaches.
Athletes will be registered with Swim Ontario and Ontario Water Polo and can not be registered with any other club.
WAVE are the 11U Provincial Champions! WAVE outscored the opposition 93 – 2 over the tournament.
What can athletes expect to learn?
Learning how to train properly.
Proficiency in all four strokes.
Proper turns and starts.
Having and achieving goals as an individual and as a team.
Dedication to a sport, to a team and to an active, aquatic life!
Eggbeater and the base position.
Strokes that are designed for water polo play, e.g. water polo backstroke, head-up frontcrawl and sidestroke.
Ball handling, passing skills and basic shooting fundamentals.
Principles of the game.
Conditioning and endurance building.
- Athletes must be born between 2011-2013.
- Athletes must be able to follow instructions and be part of a group environment.
- Athletes must be able to complete 50 metres of recognizable front crawl (freestyle) under 1 minute and 15 seconds.
- Evaluations are required for new athletes. Spots are limited and subject to availability.
- Attend 90% of all practices
- Show up on time
- Bring training equipment bag
- Be ready to have fun and learn two sports!
- Compete in our in-house swimming and water polo competitions amongst other Junior Waves groups
- Swim Head Coach will invite certain individuals who they feel are ready to attend local and away swim meets.
- Water Polo Head Coach will invite certain individuals who they feel are ready to attend local and away water polo games/tournaments.
Training Equipment List
- 2 pairs of goggles from a reputable brand (such as Speedo, Tyr, Nike, Arena, and Swans) – goggles can be found at Winners and other local shops such as Go Swim and Team Aquatic. Over-sized goggles are not acceptable — they must remain below the brow.
- Size 3 Water Polo ball – available here
- Swimming fins (short blade fins available at Decathlon, Go Swim and Team Aquatic). NO Flippers or Scuba diving gear.
- Pull-Kick Board (available at Amazon)
- Swim suit – one piece for girls and brief or jammer style for boys (NO board shorts and NO t-shirts)*
- *Note: Club bathing suit will be required for any official swim meets and/or water polo tournaments
- Swim cap – one club swim cap (yellow)
Be sure to label all of your equipment and a mesh bag is highly recommended.
Wave Merchandise Mandatory List
Please check our Merchandise requirement page to see what merchandise your son/daughter is required to have according to their program and competition opportunities.
- Fall 2022 Fees: $595
- Water Polo Canada Insurance: $40 – 120 (this amount is the base – may need to upgrade for certain events) – pay once
- Swimming Canada Insurance: $121.40-161.40 (this amount is calculated based on age) – pay once
- Team Gear: TBD (depends on what you need)
- Training Equipment: TBD (depends on what you need)
- Meet/Tournament Fees: TBD (depends on which ones you attend)